Skip to main content

12 rules for life. An antidote to chaos. Jordan Peterson. Part 2 (Rules 7 to 12)

Here you will find some extracts from the book 12 Rules for life. An antidote for chaos.

Jordan Peterson is a prominent Canadian clinical psychologist. Offers " rules for sorting yourself out, setting your house in order, and improving the world by first improving yourself." 


Rule # 7. Pursue what is meaningful (not what is expedient)

Expedience is the following of blind impulse. It’s a short-term gain. It’s narrow and selfish. It lies to get its way. It takes nothing into account. It's immature and irresponsible.

Meaning is its mature replacement. Meaning emerges when impulses are regulated, organized, and unified.

Meaning emerges from the interplay between the possibilities of the world and the value structure operating within that world. If the value structure is aimed at the betterment of Being, the meaning revealed will be life-sustaining. It will provide the antidote for chaos. It will make everything matter. It will make everything better.

If you act properly. Your actions allow you to be psychologically integrated now, and tomorrow and into the future, while you benefit yourself, your family, and the broader world around you.

Rule # 8 Tell the truth or, at least, don’t lie

Untruth, however well-meant, can produce unintended consequences

I had a  set of experiences a few years before embarking upon my clinical training.

I found myself subject to some rather violent compulsions (none acted upon), and developed the conviction, in consequence, that I knew rather little about who I was and what I was up to. So I began paying much closer attention to what I was doing and saying . The experience was disconcerting, to say the least. I soon divided myself into two parts: one that spoke, and one, more detached, that paid attention and judged. I soon came to realize that almost everything I said was untrue. I had motives for saying these things: I wanted to win arguments and gain status and impress people and get what  I wanted. I was using language to bend and twist the world into delivery what I thought was necessary. But I was a fake.   Realizing this I started to say only things that the internal voice will not object to. I started practicing telling the truth, or, at least not lying. I soon learned that such a skill came very handy when I didn’t know what to do. What should you do when you don’t know what to do? Tell the truth. See the truth. Tell the truth.

Rule # 9 Assume that the person you are listening to might know something you don’t

Psychotherapy is not advice. Psychotherapy is a genuine conversation. Genuine conversation is exploration, articulation, and strategizing. When you are involved in a genuine conversation you are listening and talking – but most listening. Listening is paying attention.

A listening person tests your talking ( and your thinking) without having to say anything. A listening person is representative of common humanity. He stands for the crowd. Now the crow is by no means always right but Is commonly right. It's typically right. If you said something that takes everyone aback, therefore, you should reconsider what you said.

How should you listen? Carl Rogers, one of the 20 century great psychotherapists knew something about listening.

He suggested that his readers conduct a short experiment when they found themselves in a dispute: stop the discussion for a moment, and institute this rule: Each person can speak up for himself only after he has restated the ideas and feelings of the previous speaker accurately and to the speakers' satisfaction. I have found this technique very useful, in my private life and my practice. I routinely summarize what people have said to me, and I ask them if I have understood properly. Sometimes they accept my summary. Sometimes I am offered a small correction. Now and then I am wrong completely. All of that is good to know.

There are several primary advantages to this process of summary.

The first advantage is that I genuinely come to understand what the person is saying.

The second advantage of the act of summary is that it aids the person in the consolidation and utility of memory. This is what happened. This is why. This I what I have to do to avoid such things from now on.  That is a successful memory. That is the purpose of memory.

You remember the past not so that it is accurately recorded, to say it again, but so that you are prepared for the future.

 

Rule # 10 Be precise in your speech

When things break down, what has been ignored rushes in.

When things fall apart and chaos remerges, we can give structure to it, and reestablish order through our speech. If we speak carefully and precisely, we can sort things out, and put them in their proper place, and set a new goal, and navigate to it –often communally, if we negotiate; if we reach consensus.

If we speak carelessly and imprecisely, however,  things remain vague. The destination remains unproclaimed. The fog of uncertainty does not lift, and there is no negotiation throughout the world.

Precision specifies. Be careful with what you tell yourself and others about what you have done, what are you doing, and where you are going. Organize those words into the correct sentences, and those sentences into the correct paragraphs.

Courageous and truthful words will render your reality simple, pristine, well-defined, and habitable.

You must determine where you have been in your life so that you can know where you are now. If you don’t know where you are, precisely, then you could be anywhere. Anywhere is too many places to be, and some of those places are very bad. You must determine where you have been in your life because otherwise, you can’t get to where you are going. You cant get from point A to point B unless you are at point A, and if you’re just anywhere the chances you are at point A is very small indeed.

You must determine where you are going in your life because you can not get there unless you move in that direction. Random wandering will not move you forward.

Say what you mean, so that you can find out what you mean. Act out what you say, so you can find out what happens. Then pay attention. Note your errors. Articulate them. Strive to correct them. That is how you discover the meaning of your life.

Confront the chaos of Being. Take aim against a sea of troubles. Specify your destination and chart your course. Admit to what you want. Tell those around you who you are. Narrow, and gaze attentively, and move forward, forthrightly.

Rule #11. Do not bother children when they are  skateboarding

Its competence that makes people as safe as they can truly be.

Kids need playgrounds dangerous enough to remain challenging. People including children, don’t seek to minimize risk. They seek to optimize it.

When untrammeled and encouraged we prefer to live on the edge. There we can still be both confident in our experience and confronting the chaos that helps us develop.

Overprotected, we will fail when something dangerous, unexpected, and full of opportunity suddenly makes its appearance as it inevitably will.

Rule # 12. Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street

Across the street on which I live is a cat named Ginger. Sometimes Ginger will trot across the street, tail held high, with a little kink at the end. Afterward, if she feels like, she may come to visit you, for half a minute. It’s a nice break. It’s a little extra light, on a good day, and a tiny respite on a bad day.

If you pay careful attention, even on a bad day, you may be fortunate enough to be confronted with small opportunities of just that sort. Maybe you will see a little girl dancing on the street because she is all dressed up in a ballet costume. Maybe you will have a very good cup of coffee in a café that cares about their customers. Maybe you can steal ten or twenty minutes to do some ridiculous thing that distracts you or reminds you that you can laugh at the absurdity of existence. And maybe when you are going for a walk and your head is spinning a cat will show up and if you pay attention to it then you will get a reminder for just fifteen seconds that the wonder of Being might make up for the ineradicable suffering that accompanies it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The importance of potable water

It is important to understand the consequences of the lack of potable water in poor communities in the world. Government and non-governmental organizations are focusing their efforts to alleviate this problem, but until now  results are showing that there is more to do. Deprivation of potable water is the first cause of several health issues, that prevent the possibility of advancement in the fight against poverty. Women and children are first affected by this insufficiency as this impacts health since childbirth through the first years of development.  We should not let politicians and organizations deceit the public with false statistics, diminishing the significance of this service shortage. Surveillance groups should be created to ensure resources are applied where they need to be. All efforts will be compensated just capturing the delight of all earth communities watching the liquid flowing from pipes as a promise of a better future. 

The unimportance of identity

  Consider the fact that. in a few years, I shall be dead. This fact can seem depressing. But the reality is only this. After a certain time, none of the thoughts and experiences that occur will be directly causally related to this brain or be connected in certain ways to these present experiences. That is all this fact involves. And, in that description, my death seems to disappear. Derek Parfit  Derek Parfit was a British philosopher who specialized in personal identity, rationality and ethics. He is widely considered one of the most important and influential moral philosophers of the late 20th century and early 21st century .

Alice sense of entitlement

Sometimes when I admire Alice,   I wonder if her cat personality has a sense of entitlement or if she simply behaves as a Queen-pet- cat. Alice - The Queen  A sense of entitlement is defined as “unrealistic, unmerited or inappropriate expectation of favorable living conditions and favorable treatment at the hands of others”. Entitlement is found when there is a higher sense of belief in one’s importance and means the person believes he deserves certain privileges – and is arrogant about it. Let's go to Alice, her elegant demeanor and her impassivity at her surroundings leads you to bring immediately the sense of entitlement. Her selection of the unimaginable places to relax, unaware of any possible restrictions, corresponds the same to her high sense of self-importance. She understands her significance as being part of the family and takes for granted her care tasks without interruption. But, because of her pleasant, playful and sweet behavior, ...